Saturday, April 6, 2013

My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies


D calls these the perfect cookies. They're not too sweet, they cook perfectly and have a great texture, and the amount of chocolate chips is perfect. I made a batch of these for D's family when they visited and got quite a few compliments. Actually, I make these more often than any other cookie because my kids love them. Don't all kids love chocolate chip cookies? I make them in such a way that results in uniformly sized and shaped cookies, too, so there aren't any arguments about who got the bigger cookie (although D sometimes complains that some of them didn't get as many chips as others). 


Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves about 3 dozen
Total time 2 hours 50 minutes
Bake time 8-10 minutes per sheet
Freeze time 2 hours
Prep time 20 minutes

Ingredients

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Instructions

Prepare a cookie sheet or two. I use 2, and bake 3 sets of cookies in rotation. You can use cooking spray or parchment paper.

Cream together butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and blend. I use my standing mixer for all of the mixing in this recipe. You can do it by hand (I did, before D got me the mixer).

Mix in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.

Use a tablespoon, cookie scoop, or round cookie cutter to portion the dough into cookies of the desired size. 

Place portioned dough onto cookie sheet and freeze for a couple of hours. This will harden the dough and keep it from spreading out so much when baking.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Once frozen, arrange cookies on a prepared cookie sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges (do not wait for tops to brown).

Let cool on the cookie sheet, on a cooling rack for about five minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment