Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Finally, Firsts

Over the weekend, S finally had her first soccer game, and C finally had her first guitar lesson. Both of their activities for the weekend before had been canceled due to... living in Colorado. I mean, seriously, is it reasonable to drop 6 or more inches of snow the night before extra curriculars, and right after it was warm enough that I thought it was safe to plant the garden?

Anyhow, C's first guitar lesson was rescheduled for last Saturday (which she was supposed to have off), which made it overlap with what would have been S's second soccer game. I took S to her game and Papa took C to her lesson.

S's practice (usually on Thursdays) was also cancelled last week because there was still snow on the field at that point. But her team still won on Saturday. We're not really supposed to talk about it. The coaches don't want to put any pressure on the kids to win, and instead just focus on playing, learning, and working together. But... S's team won. I'm pretty sure it's okay to say that in my blog.

To be fair, though, I'm pretty sure that's mostly because S's team figured out which goal to head for more quickly after half-time.

The point is, S had a great time, and she's starting to gain some confidence so she can get into the crowd with the boys and get involved. I'm really glad to see the changes in her personality. She seems to love having a thing she does without her sisters, and she's starting to voice her own opinions around the house. I'm not sure that's related, but maybe it is.

C's class consisted of about 6 kids her own age, all with acoustic guitars like hers. They're going to learn to play frere jacques, one note at a time. At their first lesson, the teacher had them color a picture of a guitar, then showed them how to play a G chord. They also talked about parts of a guitar, and how to treat a guitar (strum, don't pluck, etc). She was very excited to show me how she plays that one chord, and she's been practicing it several times a day ever since. She wants to know how to play a G chord so well that she doesn't have to look at the frets or count the strings.

I was glad to hear that there were other kids. I thought it might have been a 1-on-1 lesson, which would preclude her from meeting other kids and making friends. And, as a parent, I'm also happy to hear that the other kids had guitars just like hers. I'm always worried about my kids getting the wrong kind of attention just because I bought them a different kind of guitar or something silly like that. I remember what it was like to be that kid.

This weekend, we also went out to the mountains with Papa. He was helping some friends move things into storage while I kept an eye on the kids, who were wandering the wild, sloped yard. They got to see deer run through, even. And, of course, we also celebrated Easter. All in all, it was a great weekend, weather and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment