Monday, December 31, 2012

Wrapping Up 2012


It's been an inspiring year. At the close of 2012, my partner and I have now been together for 1 year and almost 5 months. We have a son and a house. I've finally met all of his immediate family, in two separate road trips. I saw North Carolina (and continental beaches), as well as Saint Louis for the first time.

We had a 5th birthday party for the twins at Chuck-e-Cheese, as per their request, at the beginning of the year. Then, we had a 3rd birthday party for M at the children's museum, and everyone decided they preferred that. We went to the zoo an incredible number of times, and the museum of nature and science once.

I decided to become a vastly different person this year. I chose to homeschool, start a blog, and immerse myself in baking and housekeeping. I'm finding these occupations quite satisfying. The strange thing is, it all started when I got fired from my office job at the funeral home at the beginning of the year.

It took me most of the year to be comfortable saying that I got fired. I still don't really believe that I deserved it. I stand by the fact that my training was lacking and the mistakes I made were due to being left entirely alone in the office with little knowledge of my duties in a very demanding role. From my experience there, I'm actually quite disappointed in the way they treat their employees in general. I'm glad I don't work there anymore. I've learned to enjoy my place in life and in our home. I've learned to respect myself quite a lot more than I did before, and I've learned that it's okay to be happy with being a mom, a partner, and a productive and useful member of the family without having to keep a career. At least for now.

Next year, I'm going to keep doing this. I'm going to keep loving my family and raising and educating my children. I'm going to continue letting my life unfold for me as it will, because the important things for me to actively pursue right now are healthy, happy, and intelligent children and a warm and stable family and home.

I have my own, personal goals, but they can wait for now. Since the world didn't end, I have the rest of my life and I need to stop being in such a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment