Monday, February 3, 2014

Football Family


We watched the Super Bowl yesterday. We didn't watch a single other game this season. I've never had much interest in football.

In high school I was exclusively a hockey fan, but then there was that full-season lockout and we missed a Stanley Cup. I lost enthusiasm. Still, I continued to cheer for the Avs... until there was another lockout in 2013. I still love hockey. I'd be thrilled to be invited to a game, just don't follow it anymore.

Even though I'm not much of a sports fan, and football has never been my game, when the girls came out of gymnastics class and asked if they could watch the Broncos play this weekend, I certainly wasn't going to say no. It's my job to facilitate and advocate their interests. 

I watched the big game, served snacks, made cupcakes with football-shaped frosting, and enjoyed a miniature Super Bowl party with my family. It was the first football game they ever watched. They were somewhat disappointed that Bruno Mars and Red Hot Chili Peppers were in the halftime show instead of Thunder and Miles (the Broncos mascots). Kids have funny priorities.

The game was pretty embarrassing. Not only did we lose, we choked and went home with our tails between our legs (if only this metaphor actually worked for horses). I will still be in orange and blue next season, but my kids have different values at this age. They preferred the Seahawks. I could never have explained to them how incredibly well we had performed in our season leading up to that. It was a sad night for Bronco fans everywhere.

Watching that game, I found the dying spirit of the hockey fan within. I was holding my breath during long passes, cheering when the rare play went right, but mostly groaning and exclaiming, "WHAT!?" and, "SERIOUSLY?!" Papa was surprised and jokingly tried to console me while I fumed.

This morning I was reminded that people can be incredibly narrow-minded and judgemental when I saw Facebook posts basically calling people stupid for caring about football. 

First, I don't tell you you're stupid for caring about toy cars, TV shows, comics, video games or partying... or whatever it is you care about. I can promise this family won't judge you. I watched one football game and got pretty excited about it because it was my home team. Even if I had followed the whole season with the same enthusiasm, it would be only one small part of who I am.

We are members at the zoo and the museum of nature and science because we are there so often. This family programs, designs, bakes, games, gardens, reads, homeschools, hikes, plays ukulele and guitar, takes gymnastics classes, and follows the accomplishments of SpaceX. We also watched a single football game this season. We're considering watching more next season because it gives us another fun thing to do together and be excited about. Judge that however you please.

No comments:

Post a Comment