Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Talking To Homeschoolers About Segregation


This year is the first year I've attempted to explain the history behind Martin Luther King Jr. Day to my homeschoolers. It was a tough subject for me to cover. In a way, I wish I could just never tell my children about segregation and race-driven hate crimes. I wish I didn't have to tell them because I wish it had never happened. I find it hard to talk about because it's still happening. They find it hard to understand because they are innocent and only know that people are people. I wish they could just stay that way.

I believe it is extremely important to talk to your kids about our history, even if it embarrasses you to share the atrocities of the past.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” 


It hurts to tell my kids that this incredible man who helped accomplish so much was murdered. No happily ever after. But, on the other hand, I'd rather they heard it from me.

On a lighter note, if you're teaching your young kids about segregation and Martin Luther King Jr. this year, I recommend these two books:

Martin's Big Words by Doreen Rappaport
This book has incredible illustrations. In fact, the illustrator received an award for his incredible work. The story follows MLK from childhood into activism, and includes a brief mention of his death. I read this one to my six-year-olds and my four-year-old, but it may have some concepts that are beyond the four-year-old's understanding. It does mention murder of black activists, and bluntly states that MLK was shot. I feel that it is just about as gritty as I'd be willing to share with my kids at this age, and the topic deserves at least this level of honesty.

Religion does play a fairly heavy role in this book. We are secular, but try to keep our kids' minds open enough to understand that some people believe other things. It is important to remember that, for many of the prominent figures, religion did play an important role in this time period. I think it would be rather difficult to dig up good resources on the subject that exclude God.

The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles
This story is less overwhelming for my four-year-old. It follows the struggle of Ruby Bridges as she attends school at William Frantz Elementary. No one is murdered. No one is hurt. The possibility of a scene escalating to violence is implied, but violence is avoided. It is an inspiring story, overall, and the afterword goes on to explain the outcome of desegregation in Louisiana, and what Ruby is up to, now.

Again, religion plays a serious role. Keep in mind that Ruby's family was very religious and religion helped empower Ruby to make it though such a difficult time. Although praying is an important theme in this book, the message is definitely not lost if you aren't religious.



No comments:

Post a Comment