Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lemon Drop Cookies


I'm always looking for the perfect lemon cookie. I do love the fresh, simple flavor of lemon desserts. My kids love chocolate, so we make a lot of chocolate chip cookies. I guess I feel like a good lemon cookie helps really break up that pattern. I'm not sure that these are the perfect lemon cookies for me, but they are pretty good. They're small, light, and just a little sweet. 


Lemon Drop Cookies
Serves about 24
Total time 50 minutes
Prep time 20 minutes

Ingredients

2 Cups Flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp lemon extract

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375F.
Prepare a cookie sheet or two. I wound up using two. You can use cooking spray or parchment paper.
Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in shortening. Stir in milk, egg, and lemon extract. Mix until well blended. I started out with a regular mixing bowl and an electric hand-mixer, but ended up transferring the dough into my standing mixer because my hand-mixer just wasn't up to the task. Honestly, I'm pretty sure I just have a sub-par hand-mixer.
Roll 1-inch dough balls with floured hands (dough is quite sticky). Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheet(s) about 1-inch apart.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden in color. Let cool completely on cooling rack while you prepare the frosting.


Lemon Frosting

Ingredients


1/3 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup warm milk
1 tsp lemon extract


Instructions

Combine shortening and sugar in a medium bowl. You're going to want to use some sort of mixer for this. I used my hand-mixer (this was a task it could handle). 
Stir in warm milk, 1-2 tablespoons at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.
Stir in lemon extract.

To get the "drop" shape, I pushed the top of each cookie into the frosting, wiggled it around a bit, then pulled it straight out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment