Thursday, September 10, 2015

Pura Vida: No Worries

Photo: http://www.visitcostarica.com/

Every new thing I do is the new most amazing thing I've ever done. In January, I'm going to Costa Rica! I found out on the the 3rd (a week ago as I'm writing this) that I my application was accepted for a class that involved a biology research trip to Costa Rica. I didn't have time to be excited until now (and I barely have time, now).

I got an acceptance email on Thursday. I had a weekend backpacking trip to prepare for because I was leaving Friday. Then, I was gone until Sunday afternoon. The backpacking trip was part of a class, so I was busy learning and working my butt off all weekend, but it was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time.

When I came home from the trip, I had some "being a good friend" to do. Someone I care a lot about was in need of love and support. I love to love the people I care about. Don't get me wrong, it's sad when they really need it because I hate to see them hurting. Still, it makes me feel good when one of my friends come to me when they need something.

Anyway, Monday, I had no classes because it was Labor Day, so we took the kids to the zoo. Yes, the zoo, after I had just hiked more than a dozen miles with a 35lb backpack. I said I would, so I did... after I dosed myself with ibuprofen.

Tuesday, I went back to the zoo for an adult volunteer meeting. Then, I took a class designed to teach me the basics of front gate work, so I can volunteer to be that awesome, bubbly person who greets you and takes your tickets. I had planned to go grocery shopping after that, but the class ran long and I didn't have time. So, I was home for a little while before I went back to campus to take the test for my Outdoor Ethics class.

Wednesday, I had classes from 8am to 4:45pm and an online math quiz to take when I got home.

So, today....

Today, I'm finally trying to take a moment to let this sink in.



Reasons this is amazing:
  1. I've never been out of the country before. 
  2. Dr. Carello is my hero, and she's one of the professors who runs this trip. 
  3. This will look great when I'm looking for a job after I graduate.
  4. It sounds like it's going to be incredibly fun, not just academic.
  5. 110 species of bats are known to live in Costa Rica, including fruit bats and vampire bats.
  6. 52 species of hummingbirds.
  7. There are over 300 different endangered species in Costa Rica. 
  8. Seven active volcanoes.
  9. Supposedly, older natives are pretty short so furniture is about 6 inches shorter there... I'm gonna fit right in. 


I'M 
SO
EXCITED!



2 comments:

  1. I'm delighted for you, Jenessa! It sounds awesome, in so many ways. Costa Rica is somewhere I've always dreamed of visiting, and I'll vicariously enjoy your adventure. I know you'll have a wonderful experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete