Monday, August 18, 2014

Back to (Home) School 2014


Oh my goodness, what a throw-back. I didn't write a post like this last August, though I really should have. So, my last "back to (home) school" picture is from two years ago. I plan to make this an annual event, now.

Before I give you this year's picture, have a look at the past:

Back to (home) School 2012
In the 2012 "back to (home) school" entry, I wrote about the twins (S on the left and C in the middle) keeping each other entertained, but also distracting each other and relying on each other for answers. Those things are all still true. They're starting to diverge and have their own opinions, ideas and answers. They've also both managed to learn, grown and succeed despite using each other as a crutch at times.

C and S are seven this year. They're into gymnastics, reading, writing, and playing on their new play set. C is more of a leader while S is a great listener who takes direction well, but  both girls still sometimes let their emotions get the best of them when something goes wrong. M, who is now four, is a bit of a loose cannon, just like her sisters were when they were four. It's much harder to get her to sit still and learn, so she will be my challenge this year. She is starting more structured lessons. She'll be starting to learn phonics and reading specifically.

Another thing that echoes from 2012 to now: My kids asked if they were ever going to go to "real" school. Today, I was trimming their hair and talking about taking this year's picture and C said, "I want to go to a real school."

I said, "That's probably not going to happen."

She asked, "Why?"

I said, "A lot of reasons."

She demanded I tell her at least one and I thought, "haven't we gone over this before?"

"We're better equipped to teach you." I responded.

"Why?" She continued.

"Because we know you better than any teacher ever could, and we have only our kids to look after and teach. Most public schools have 20 or so kids with one teacher. It's hard for them to know each kid and teach each kid at their own pace."

"And you only have us." She realized.

"Yes. But you are technically part of the local school district. You could take classes there if you ever need to learn something we can't teach you, like if you need access to a lab to learn chemistry or something." I added.

"YAY!"
back to (home) school 2014
Back to (home) School 2014
For Fun: Me on my first day back to college. (8/18/14)

This post is part of the "NOT back-to-homeschool" blog hop through iHomeschool Network


No comments:

Post a Comment