Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Ham and Veggie Chowder


I got this recipe from a recipe book my mom has called "slow cooker favorites". It's super easy, visually appealing, and delicious. It's also full of vegetables, so who can complain? I didn't want to add anything to mine (not even salt and pepper!) but salt, pepper, grated cheese, and crackers would be good options to make available when you serve this stuff.



Ham and Veggie Chowder
Makes 6 Servings
Total time 4 to 5 hours (on high) 7 to 9 hours (on low)
Time in the slow cooker 3.5 to 4.5 hours (on high) 6.5 to 8.5 hours (on low)
Prep time (probably not even) 30 minutes


Ingredients
  • 2 cans condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
  • 2 cups diced cooked ham (you can buy it already diced or dice up some leftovers)
  • 1 10oz package frozen corn, thawed (You can also use strained and rinsed canned corn. I haven't tried fresh, but I imagine that would also work)
  • 1 large baking potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (I used thyme powder, and it turned out fine)
  • 2 cups small broccoli florets (I used fairly large ones, I recommend you don't. The broccoli does not get soft enough to break apart with a spoon easily, so larger pieces are pretty inconvenient.)
  • 1/2 cup milk
Instructions

DO NOT PUT THE MILK IN YET!

I had Papa helping me with this dinner. I was chopping potatoes and peppers while he was putting other things in the slow cookers (we used two and made a double recipe). He didn't read to the end of the instructions before he put the milk in. Do not put the milk in until 15 to 30 minutes before serving. I know it looks like an unreasonably dry pile of vegetables and you want to add some liquid. There's not a lot of liquid in this recipe, especially in the early stages. Your milk will probably curdle if you add it too soon. In fact, it definitely will if you try to cook it on high for 3 or 4 hours. 
  1. Combine condensed soup, ham, corn, potato, bell pepper and thyme in your slow cooker. Mix well.
  2. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
  3. THEN stir in broccoli and milk.
  4. Cover and cook on high for 15 to 30 minutes or until broccoli is warm and tender, but not falling apart. 
Papa was tired and not feeling well when he was helping me. When he realized he had made a mistake, he wasn't sure how to fix it. I wound up sending my sister to the closest grocery store to get some new cream of celery soup while we dumped the slow cooker contents into a sieve and used the shower-like setting on the sink tap to wash all of the liquids off of the solid ingredients. 

It turned out fine; delicious even.

No comments:

Post a Comment